Friday, April 12, 2013

Bitter or Better


Today we took Esther for her first surgery along with hearing testing to find out where we are headed next on this journey.  She got to keep her adenoids as the doctor found they weren’t an issue and didn’t want to take out something that didn’t need to come out. She did have lots of fluid vacuumed out of her ears and tubes placed in them.  Once she went into the Auditory Brain Response testing we waited for an hour to hear the results.  The doctor and audiologist came to meet with us and to give us the results of the surgery and testing.  Esther is profoundly deaf and they got very little, if any, response to sound.  They continued to tell me about the procedures that will follow and what the course of our next two months will look like.  This will entail lots of testing, hearing aid trials, more ABR testing and an MRI.  After all of these are complete we will know if the doctor feels comfortable moving forward with a cochlear implant. Click here for facts about a cochlear implant

Although I would have LOVED to go to her side and say her name and have her turn toward me I am very thankful that we know what we are facing and we can move forward.  Receiving this information was more of a relief to me today because the unknown is so hard for me.  “Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." Deut 31:6

We have many challenges ahead of us that we will tackle head on.  However, I would be lying if I said I am prepared and ready for this and what it will look like for our family.  Working through the issues of bitterness and resentment are difficult.  Trying not to harbor ill feelings and move forward will be in the best interest of Esther and all of us.  Still shocked that no one had any idea of her condition after spending two years with her is just beyond me but I know I have to let it go and move forward.  I have learned that bitterness and resentment are sinful and self-defeating. They will color your conscious and unconscious thoughts and actions. Allowed to fester, they will destroy and kill (Galatians 5:19-21). However, they can be dispelled with love. "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" (Ephesians 4:31,32)

Please pray for Esther, our family, doctors and staff that will be caring for her.  Also pray that I will be able to prioritize and not feel like I am letting others down when in fact I am putting my family and Esther’s future first.  “For if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?” 1 Tim 3:5

Blessings,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment